Wednesday, March 08, 2006

TL-166 Gettin' Close


Here's a photo of the nearly complete TL project. It started life as a 73 model 125 that I bought new in 1976 (the TL wasn't what you'd call a hot seller). I rode some trials on it back in the 70s, but mostly just playtime. It was a very good little all-around trial bike, but for competing, it had problems. Among them, a weak motor, a weird "wishbone" triple-tree arrangement, and it was a 4-stroke. This one sat for a long time before I resurrected it a couple of years ago, so my son could ride along in the vintage trials events I'd gotten involved in. He quickly progressed as a rider, to the point he needed something without the inherent problems of the Honda. I set him up with a RL250 Suzuki (whole new set of problems) and set the Honda aside. While back I stumbled on a NOS big bore kit for a SL125, so I scooped it up and started the project, which I hope will lead to a machine that can be (somewhat) competitive in the Intermediate AHRMA class. In the picture above, I have the exhaust fabricated, the shocks changed and relocated, the engine rebuilt with the 166cc kit. This last made possible by some excellent machine work to the cases, by none other than the legendary Bob Ginder at B&J Racing. A big valve SL head (and carb) was necessary, to make room for the big dome-top piston. I also have changed the front-end to one removed from a 77 model XL125. The straight trees should take care of cause for the problem (noted TL pilot, Dustin Ginder) described as "...the front-end not knowing what the rest of the bike was doing". We'll see. The forks would hit the tank, so I'm in the process of painting a "TL" scheme on the tank from a XL125. It's shorter (by a little), but still required some loving touches with the trusty, rusty, bondo hammer. More to come later on this; it won't be long now.

2 comments:

Pee Wee said...

Looking good Mr. Wallace! Can't wait to see it in person.

Welcome to the dark side of the blog.......

The Crew @ B and J said...

Sounds like your project is coming along. Are you going to ride it in the Mid-west/ITSA trials on the 18th? Am I going to get to build you a pair of Falcon's to go along with your new forks?
Thanks for the ego stroking comment! Your check is in the mail! No really!