Sunday, May 07, 2006

Everything in Black and White (& carbon fiber)




Well, I wrote the previous post last night, then forgot to publish it. This one is current and being written after working on the Reflex tank all day. ALL DAY? Didn’t I just write that I only lacked spraying a little clear on the thing? Well, I had a choice and I was torn. They were planning to spend the day laying out sections at the ranch for the upcoming ITSA event and I wanted to help. On the other hand, I hated to show up without the painted parts in tow. So I concluded that my best bet was to jump out there this morning and complete the painting, before driving over this afternoon. I flew into the garage and started ripping off paper. EGAD! (as my friend Graham would say). I found the paint had bleed under the tape in several spots, wrecking my carefully laid lines. I then proceeded to spend the next 6 or 7 hours gently sanding the edges of the color breaks with a fingernail file. That was a job. I did manage to get one coat of clear on it, but it needs a couple more and I ran out of time. I hate I missed the workday, but I was a prisoner of my own making.

1 comment:

The Crew @ B and J said...

A day well spent!
We got the sections layed in. We kept you and your fire breathing TL in mind as we carefully designed them. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing. We will find out Saturday.
The tank looks great...can't wait to see it....don't you love it when a plan comes together!
We do appreciate your efforts!
Thanks
The Guru