Friday, November 02, 2018

Long and Winding Road

My grandson lives 800 miles from me, so needless to say when we're able to be together, we want to make the most of it. Reid is 5 years old and all boy. He's crazy about Zombies, Motorcycling and me. His love of dirt bikes comes from a very short exposure that up until recently, had been limited to setting on some of my old trials bikes in the garage, or watching me ride around the yard...from a safe distance. This past summer that changed when I spotted him holding one of my old helmets, down out of sight, as he watched me ride around in circles from his position in a doorway. That action said to me, "I'm ready to feel that for myself!" Short story is that I carefully coaxed him onto the spot between me and the handlebars, we made a few slow rounds, then faster a little faster and just like that, he was in love.

When he got back home in Tampa, he obsessed over the experience. He talked of nothing else; spending hours watching motocross videos and drawing pictures of me and him racing around some imaginary course, each on a brightly colored bike of our own.

I could not not stand it. Here's a LINK to a little video of the moment that both of our lives changed in an instant, when he came for a visit a couple of weeks ago and dragged me (as usual) out to the shop to sit on the machines housed there.

Later that same day... LINK

1 comment:

Pee Wee said...

I'm not sure who was more excited, Reid or me! Loved how he just started stripping down to get on some gear. Well done y'all. My grin after reading this and watching those vids is as big as his.