Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Picking and moaning


I've had an old Montaya guitar, a knockoff of the very excellant Martin D28. It always seemed to have a good sound and I'd been trying to play it since buying it in 1983. First year, I took lessons once a week and learned to read music a little and could pick out some short random tunes. It was not what I signed up for and bored to tears, dropped the lessons and shortly after, hid the guitar in the closet. It was guys sitting around playing and singing that had me going then and it took a while to find some, but it's guys picking around a fire that's got me hooked again. Good players, who know how bad I suck, but encourage me anyway. I've bought a few peices to play with, but the honest truth is that none fit nearly as well as the old Montaya does. I have no high priced intruments. The triple stand is holding on the right, the old Montaya, on the left is a Ovation BlackViper - hollow body electric, and in back is my beat up Taylor Big Baby. The one encased on the floor is a Martin D15 Custom I just picked up. It's nearly new, too new in fact. I'm going to have to get Peewee up here to stretch the strings a little, while maybe Malcolm strokes my Taylor. Charlie and Cpt Dick can beat on the ovation, while we all drink spring water. That'd be alright. How about it, who's in?

2 comments:

cpt. Dick said...

Sounds good to me. I'm stunned to be mentioned in such great company when everybody knows that I'm just a beat off.

Pee Wee said...

Jeez Captain, just a beat off? Could you have not worded that better?

Yo Jess, congrats on the new Martin! I'll be more than glad to stretch the strings a bit and probably scratch the hell out of the top!

And, neither you nor the Captain suck, you're just, um, in-experienced. Yeah, that's it!

Seriously, you got to have something that MAKES you want to play, just like you have got to have something that makes you want to ride. Whather it be a Road king or a DRZ400 or an XR50.

Word.