Monday, October 23, 2006

Hurrying through life



The boy and I made a little run to the Trials Training Center this weekend, to partake in round 7 & 8 of the STRAs Championship series. I really considered traveling to Birmingham for the AHRMA National event taking place there on Saturday. My old buds from BJRacing were there setting up, so I knew I could count on some inside infor…. Ur, I mean some well thought-out trials obstacles. The MITA guys were also having a modern event to the north, but I gave the choice to the boy and he elected to go hard and fast (the night before, that is). He also wanted to ride his Sherco, claiming an absence of too long from its saddle. Never mind that it ain’t got no saddle, or even a seat. I really think he believed he’d put on enough pounds to take the old man if we were both mounted evenly. I had my doubts about that, so I gave in to his direction of choice. We only rode one day (the boy’s social life calling) and I got to admit, he had me on the ropes but good through two rounds. But just like a young George Forman found out when he let Ali off the ropes after 8 rounds of pounding him; never count the win while your opponent is still standing. I won’t get into details, but suffice it to say that I pulled out all the stops and took him by 2 points in the end. He rode consistent all day (4 loops, with a 15, a 16, a 14 and another 15) and I’m proud of him. He’ll get me soon, for sure. But then again, maybe not real soon after all. “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee…”

1 comment:

Pee Wee said...

Way to go Pap! Good job on keeping the ride home tolerable.

We kicked some folks asses in Birmingham, sent several of them whining back to the truck after one loop........